Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Beehive Grill - Logan, Utah

We have lived in Logan, Utah for over 2 years now. We are a retired military family. My husband has done 3 tours in Iraq, and his sister used to work here. We started going just BECAUSE she worked there (and sometimes still picks up extra shifts, she is lookin for a better job). (Not as a waitress) At first, we went without the children (4 and 2 yrs old). Service was speedily, though some of the female waitresses needed a stupidity check before we ordered from them. The food was half-decent. (Nowhere near as good as the newer restaurant in town now)

Next week we brought the kiddlings with us, whom are very well-behaved. We always leave a 20% tip regardless of if the kids are with us or not. If the kids get too fussy, we pack things up and finish at home. I will say this once: DO NOT BRING YOUR KIDS, THE SERVICE GOES DOWNHILL!!!!! THEY TREAT YOU LIKE 2ND RATE CITIZENS!

Anyways, since the new restaurant opened up a few months ago, we compared the service and food between the two. Beehive you were lucky if your Salmon wasn't raw, and with the other place it was 100% better - even with the kids. I can't remember the restaurant, but I know at first I was worried it was ONLY meat - but it's not. The service is better, the food is properly prepared, and honestly the prices are better.

Beehive you suck lately, and thank god I don't go there anymore. Last time I went the waitress spilled soup on us. Edit: When you bring your kids with you, make sure to ask for a booth. Otherwise they sit you next to the loud tabled groups -thinking you'll fit right in. Half the time they forget they put you back in the corner.

Edit: Went to the Beehive today, because the Roadhouse was closed. I ordered the clam chowder, sister-in-law was working so we said hi. Last time I was in there, I was served raw salmon and those customer service cards they ask you to fill out? DON'T!!!! Apparently, the waitress who had served me the raw salmon night was talking shit about me behind my back to my sister-in-law. Talk about shitty service and a shitty place! Sister-in-law stood up for me, and now we are contacting the manager. WE PAY YOUR BILLS - TREAT US WITH RESPECT!!! DON'T ASK FOR COMMENT CARDS IF YOU DON'T WANT THE FUCKING COMMENTS!

In short, the service sucked. Waiting for your food (which the salads are usually soupy goop, and the meat is usually incorrectly prepared), takes a long time. Tonight we waited over an hour for very easy to prepare food. When we asked if there was coke or pepsi products, the fat bitch waitress tried to convince us that the diet pepsi was the same as diet coke and she could lie to us and tell us it was the same when she came back. Our friend, asked if we paid her in monopoly money, would she still know the difference. Trying to make a point, that no - it's not the fucking same...so NO you don't serve diet coke. She also kept asking us if we were full...which is an odd thing to ask, over and over again. I felt like my 4 yr old all of a sudden.

When we were leaving, that was when the whole overhearing shit happened. None of us are going there again, and we're making sure everyone else knows about the shit service.

(Please ignore typos)

Update/newest review (some of it is a repeat):

We moved to Logan about 2 years ago and were instantly attracted to the beehive. As a military family, we've moved all over and the standard in service can obviously vary from restaurant to restaurant. We used to be huge fans of the Beehive. In fact, we used to go once a week as a date night (that's about 27 times at least we've been there). However, over the past year or so, the service has seriously declined and so has the food.

If you are new to the area, it can have a serious appeal as the Roadhouse is almost always packed. However, most of the time the waitresses don't even know their own menu. We had one waitress who literally argued with us about whether or not they have root beer...(they make it in house). Other waitresses have been lackwitted, slow and generally unfriendly. We're never impressed with the service, and those customer comment cards ARE discussed, but not with their boss. The waitresses watch you put the card into the box, and then gossip about the comments you wrote.

We stopped going there because last time we overheard a couple of the waitresses gossiping about a negative comment card. They were pretty much talking bad about the customer and not even paying attention to what was written on the card. Those cards are NOT used to improve the quality of their service, but used as a way for them to talk bad about their customers. They don't care what opinions you have on their lack of service (etc).


As per the food, it really varies depending on the chef you get. Sometimes it's okay, other times you have to send it back because it was cooked incorrectly. (I had raw salmon once and sent it back...the waitress gave my husband attitude about it) I would suggest eating their clam chowder, as it is almost always good (be careful of extra oil that floats to the top, not very appealing). But, usually you wait a REALLY long time for sub-par food that I wouldn't even eat if I were drunk. We have had a LOT of problems with this restuarant foodwise. Half the time my salmon was raw, the other half my fish and chips were a soggy disaster. Their salads are almost ALWAYS filled with water at the bottom. I took a cup once and drained the liquid into it...filled about 1/4th of my cup with ew.

If you bring your family and request a booth, they almost always ignore your request and sit you in the back. They treat you like second class citizens because god forbid you have children with you. Half the time they forget to give them crayons to play with, and they almost always sit you near the loud obnoxious tables. My kids are well behaved in public, don't make a huge mess (well they are kids right?), and we always tip over 15% regardless of the kids being with us. However, this restaurant treats us like garbage everytime we go with our kids. It's sad when your children are placed in the reject section and still are the best behaved.

This was another reason why we picked the Roadhouse over the Beehive. Next time you are out, try to compare the two in service, food, and general attitude. This is why we decided to stop going to the Beehive. It was not worth the money, and the Roadhouse seems to be. (No, I don't work for the Roadhouse but it's much much better overall) We're still trying to figure out why the Beehive went down in just about every aspect, in less then one year. It used to be really good, now it's just...ew.

PS. Check their menu one day, it says down at the bottom that a 15% tip is considered polite. What kind of restaurant reminds their customers how much they should tip? Shouldn't the tip be up to how well the waitress/es do their job? Why is it even on the menu?

^ That is my newest review. My opinions havent changed.

Update 2: Nov 2011

We attempted to go again last week. The service was so bad that about 10minutes after being seated, we got up and left. I hope people start listening to these reviews so that the Beehive realizes you CAN'T treat your customers this way!

I am absolutely convinced that this restaurant needs to go out of business. Not only do they not care about what the customers REALLY have to say, but they take extra efforts to cover up their constant mistakes. On all of the Yelps, Tripadvisor reviews, the Beehive Grill goes to extra efforts to have negative reviews either deleted or flagged for being inappropriate. I have had to repost my own review 4x now. Good thing you can't report my blog, assholes!


Update 3:  2/15/2015

It would seem that someone is still attempting to discredit me on yelp and on my own blog.  About two years ago, WAY after my review and us never going back, the owner contacted me and asked "what it would take for me to remove my review".  I said I would NOT be removing my review, as it is my opinion and completely true.  I don't want a discount on a meal, I am leaving my reviews up to warn other people.

I recently received two more comments on my blog, that I have blocked.  Mind you, this was originally posted as a rant in 2010.  Why are you STILL stalking my blog post about your restaurant?  Are you upset that I won't remove it, still?  Grow up.  I won't be harassed into removing it, and your insulting comments about my personality/children/etc just make me even happier that I don't give my money to you.

If you look at the other reviews on Yelp (and other sites), my experience is not uncommon.  I'm sure there are people that enjoy going to the Beehive, but we are not one of those.  We HAVE tried to go back and see if it has changed (mainly due to the fact that we LOVED it so much before).  The food has not, nor has the service.

We've asked neighbors, relatives, and friends that have gone there.  They have had similar issues with the servers.  So, we know we are not alone.  With so many other places to go to in Logan, why would I even bother caring to go back?  We get awesome service at Buffalo Wild Wings and Roadhouse.  We get crap at Beehive.

It's obvious that it is NOT "our negative personalities" (as the owner suggested was our problem) that is causing the Beehive to receive these negative reviews.  Our family doesn't control OTHER people posting their own experiences.  We don't tell people to make up false reviews about your place, because frankly - we don't care about you as much as you'd think.  We don't even know the other people posting those reviews.  The idea that the owner thinks we/our family is the only one posting negative reviews about their restaurant, and that it is somehow a conspiracy, just goes to show you what state of mind this guy is in - 5 years later.

If you have SO many negative reviews about your service and food, it's obvious it's the business' fault and NOT the reviewers'.  To try to even attempt to shame/blame a reviewer for how they were treated (even after 5 years!!!), is insane.  You do realize this was posted 5 YEARS ago, yes?  How dare you attempt to insult me on my own bog!  It's obvious your restaurant needs to start focusing on the customer experience and NOT how you *think* someone is!  You don't even know me!  It's time you started looking at YOURSELF for your shitty reviews.  If your food is RAW, it is RAW and NOT the customer's fault!

We aren't even super pushy customers.  I make sure that we even clean our booths before leaving, with/out kids.  We order everything up front (dinner, desert, aps, etc) so the server doesn't have to hang around other than to refill drinks.  If it takes a while on our food, we understand - but waiting over 40 minutes for an appetizer is NOT normal.  We tip 20% regardless, and yes the "tip comment" at the bottom of the menu IS insulting to costumers.  Add in the soggy mess of the food, we were NOT impressed.  (I still do love their clam chowder, but not enough to go back)  The servers lack of knowledge on their own menu can be excused, until you get ALL of your servers not knowing the menu.  The gossiping about customers and their comment cards CAN be excused, but this has NOT stopped.  Many people have overheard the servers, manager, and the owner talking negatively about someone who had left a written negative experience.  Those comment cards are supposed to be used to IMPROVE your restaurant, and NOT as a way to insult/defame/harass the customer.  We get that it is "such juicy gossip" that XYZ customer said Blah about your restaurant, but you do realize that is REALLY rude...right?  It's not even just rude, it's downright insulting.

I also forgot to mention in my original post that even if there are only two tables filled, sometimes the servers (used to) rush you to leave.  I had a business meeting with a friend of mine (the one with the monopoly money) and she tried to rush us out the minute we sat down.  Needless to say, my friend (from out of town) STILL talks about this restaurant badly.  Our own family and friends are constantly comparing the Beehive to whatever place they go to, as well.  It's sad when the Beehive is the standard for "bad place to eat" and everyone knows it.

I'm still for them closing their doors.  Those comment cards are worthless, as nothing has changed.  I've never even seen anyone receive the "prize" they swear exists.  I'd really like to see a change in their server, food, and the owner's hostile attitude.  Until that happens, I hope they close down.

PS.  My sister-in-law quit working there after about 6 months.  She has plenty of stories to tell about how bad the service and food is.  I've also been a server before and know how stressful it can be when you having shitty customers.  That is why we excused a LOT of our bad experiences when it first started going downhill.  We assumed lack of training, stressful environment, etc.  It was obviously none of those things - as the service has STILL not changed.


Here is an excerpt from another reviewer:  " As they were leaving our server Mercedes said very rude comments to them. I think its safe to say that I am never coming back here again."  Obviously, we weren't lying about the servers talking shit about/to their customers.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

11/15/15 8:30pm
THE BEEHIVE GRILL
SICK WRONG BAD PEOPLE WORKING THERE
My family and I went to beehive grill for dinner and I just have to say this place sucks to eat let me start we had 5 orders 3 of them were wings...... plate 1 my wifes order 10 pieces of wings, under the wings there's was a pice of bone from someone else not only that it was cover with two pieces of nacho chips.... plate #2 my kind had 10 pieces of wings all undercooked it can happen right but one of the wing was omg how can I describe it black, old meet nothing to do with white meat chicken the bone on it broke in half, stunk I'm not exaggerating it was bad. plate #3 my daughter had a Hamburger have way thru she had to go throw up the meet was bloody .. plate #4 my 5 year old kid had chicken fingers this guy's don't have any idea of what they were cooking they brought out 2 pieces of burned I mean rock hard burned - - - chicken tenders---not chicken fingers and I know for sure they knew it was wrong because they put the meat with the burn side facing down... my plate 10 pieces of wings I eat 2 and they were OK but the 3,4,5,6,7,8 pieces were all under cook I mean blood running on the wing the meat was still hard like rubbery on my order I had 5 pieces of BBQ and 5 buffalo on the plate with BBQ there was a pice of wing old pice didn't even belong to my order I call the manager she acted like it's normal thing you know like no problem... She said I got this you don't have to pay for the wings it's OK I'll take care of this so I ask her what kind of business they are running back there what kind of sick people work behind the door of course see try to tell me that the pieces of nacho chips could of just fallen in the plate... Sure right... and the pice of bone under the nachos chips that too.. Yeah sure... and the pice on my plate...this person the so called manager threaten to call the police if I would leave. I'll admit I was mad way mad I spill a glass of water on the table... the only reason I left it because I had my family with me and my kids are 15 -11 -5 years old the last thing I want is to get arrested in front of them but if I had been with my friends I would of stay until the police showed up so that we could of have made a full report on what kind of sick staff they have working there.. I'll be honest wings sometimes don't cook all the way but THE EXTRA .. BONES,NACHO CHIPS, AND THE ONE REALY REALY BAD PICE OF WING THAT WAS WRONG ... IT'S SICK ITS WRONG.. some how I feel bad for the owner of beehive grill restaurant for investing money, time, paying wages so that his staff that works there do this kind of $$$$$ if someone knows the owner someone needs to let him know what is going on in his restaurant I'll tell him if I can get his number or email some how we need to get this reviews to his attention

Alysrian said...

I was contacted by the owner of the Beehive Grill, after my review made the rounds. He offered me a free meal to remove my review. I was not willing to take that offer, thus my review stands. I am more than willing to change my opinion of the place after experiencing a better experience, but not willing to take bribes to have my review removed completely.

Unknown said...

When did the owner contacted you? I wish would have the guts to send me an email I'll like to know what the manager did

Alysrian said...

The owner tried to call me and left a message basically stating "what will it take to get you to remove your reviews". I told my SIL (who was still working there), that'd I'd never remove the review as they had earned it. I might update it, but wouldn't remove the original. This was about 6 months after I originally posted my reviews and they couldn't remove this one (as it's on my blog and they can't pay off Yelp to remove this one).

Wasn't contacted since. Basically, they just wanted to buy me off. I did attempt several times after the initial issues to change the review myself, but the service was worse and so was the food. So, I never updated/changed the review.

They basically hire college girls now to be servers, and they are all very immature. They don't care about doing their jobs, and only about the REQUIRED tip at the end. The food is hit or miss, at least last time I saw.

We generally loved going there before it went downhill, but now we won't step foot near the place.

Alysrian said...

My point was though, that the owner knows that this kind of stuff happens. He's been warned for a few years now by myself and plenty of others. He just doesn't care. If he did, he would have fixed it years ago when the first bad reviews (from others not me) started showing up. Instead, he tries to buy people off for their silence on the terrible experiences they have received.

If he cared, he'd hire better staff and fix the food issues. Instead, he runs around acting like his restaurant is #1 and those comment cards are worthless. Just a way for them to get your private information and to harass/talk badly about you. They don't use them to correct their issues, they just toss them out basically. I have never heard of anyone even winning one of their bikes or whatever is the reward. It's just a scam.

In the end, the restaurant would be better off being replaced by an owner and staff who actually give a shit about their customers.