Monday, November 1, 2010

Ghetto Babysitting

So, I posted an add on our local Craig's list offering our services as a babysitter. This chick called back, she wanted to hire us for 30 hours a week, at a rate of $2400 a month - which is $10.00 per child per hour. Not a bad price, especially at this time in the market and she was on government paid babysitting assistance. Never heard of it before now.

We did the interview, and I brought a list of questions that I wanted answered. Here's the list and the responses.

1 - Do you want us to brush their teeth after every meal, like we do with our children?
Doesn't care

2 - How many hours per day and will we need to provide transportation?
30 hours per day, starting immediately. Yes, you would need to pick them up everyday (complete other side of town, she doesn't have a car) - unpaid for gas.

3 - What sort of punishments would you like? Time-outs? Hitting?
No hitting (yet her ex-babysitter slammed her kid against the wall?), time-outs are fine.

4 - Would you prefer that I updated my CPR certification?
Yes, I had a child die already to SIDS. (which she blamed on her cigarette smoking)

5 - Do we need to supply diapers and food for both children?
Yes, but no food for the youngest (9months old) because she is still on formula.

6 - Are they on a special diet? What are their favorite foods? Can they have candy as part of the reward system? Are they both still eating mushies?
Lactose Intolerant. Spaghetti. Yes. No, the eldest is not on mushies (I believe that he is, since he was eating at the time and was making the biggest mess known to man because it was solid food. Nothing was even getting into his mouth. Not trained in using forks/spoons)

7 - Are you on a current routine for bedtime, storytime, learning, naptime?
No, I pretty much put them down whenever. I also prefer that you sing to my daughter (the youngest).

8 - Are they potty trained and would you be expecting us to teach them?
No for both, and yes. My son is uncircumsized.

9 - Special Educational Needs?
None

10 - Do you have outside or inside rules of the house while they are in your care?
No. We have no rules here.

11 - Are they allowed on the playset and in the pool during the summer? If so, do you have bathing suits for them and floaties?
You would need to provide bathing suits and floaties. My youngest cannot go in/on either, my eldest needs to be watched on both.

12 - Favorite toys? What toys are not okay? Guns?
No favorite toys, and all toys are okay (though personally, I would never give a toy gun to any kid)

13 - Are the parks and the zoo okay to go for and if we go to the a paid event, would you be paying or us?
You would need to pay, and it would be okay with us.

14 - Do they both sleep in cribs still or toddler beds?
Both are crib sleepers, and we would like you to work on our eldest sleeping in a real bed.

15 - Would you need me to take them to the dentist and doctor for you, as well?
Yes, unpaid.

16 - Do you have insurance for both kids? Eyes, dental, doctor?
None. You would need to pay the copay.

17 - How much TV is okay per day? What channels?
As much TV as you want, any channel is acceptable. My son (the eldest) watches family guy. (okay...then....)

18 - Medical Conditions?
My son has had a recurring problem with urinary tract infections. (ew)

That was pretty much it, besides the general observations. She didn't have heat in her place (was using an open oven to heat her place and my kid almost burned her hand), and the place was messier then ours. Which is almost impossible. I understand having kids means no real time for cleaning, but this bitch didn't even clean up the feces on the floor.

They are also not trained in sippy cups (still both on bottles and the eldest has bottle rot), not potty trained...and basically run wild.

Turns out we didn't get the job. She went back to a previous babysitter whom she claims threw her kid against a wall. I doubted that and asked why she didn't call the cops - she claims she didn't want the drama. WTF. Then she got a text from said babysitter DURING our interview, and decided to call her back right in front of my face. If she was so willing to trash the previous sitter, then imagine what she would have said about us.

I was overall not impressed with her parenting style, nor the amount of responsibility that WE would be shouldering. We are not there to raise her kids FOR her, and she pretty much hasn't raised them at all before now. Also, the SIDS and urinary tract infections irked me. Also, she smelled like pot.

We were not hired, and honestly, I'm pretty happy about that. I'm considering calling CPS.

No comments: